Rheumatologist and Clinical Immunologist & Allergist profile
Specialist in adult rheumatology and clinical immunology & allergy brings years of combined experiences in top-ranked hospitals in Canada. Offers advanced expertise in diagnostic and therapeutic methods in treating patients. Collaborative team player and leader with diverse experience in multidisciplinary team environments. Builds strong relationships with colleagues, residents, referral physicians, nursing staff, therapeutic care specialists and hospital administration. Insightful teacher and mentor with proven strengths in didactic and practical training, empowers undergraduates, residents and specialists-in-training with the information, construction feedback and guidance needed to become top caliber physicians and compassionate care giver.
- Rheumatology medicine
- Hospital Consultations
- Diagnostic Techniques & Methodologies
- Clinical Immunology and allergy Medicine
- Medical Research
- Resident Supervision
- Quality Management
- Outpatient & inpatient care
- Counselling & Education
- Case Management
- Clinical & ER Practices
- Patient & Family Communications
- Multi-disciplinary Collaboration
- Case Study Preparation
Consultant at Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital May 2014-Present
Work at the rheumatology unit at Mubarak hospital covering the inpatient consolation service, running the infusion room for biologic agents, plus weekly outpatient clinic.
Consultant Clinical Immunologist & Allergist JUL 2007-Present
Retained by several hospitals in Canada, to serve as a methodological expert for the diagnosis and treatment of medical diseases and to contribute to patient care. Provides direct patient care, including physical examinations, evaluations, assessments, diagnosis and treatment. Work in private practice plus hospital sitting in Toronto, Canada.
Consultant Clinical Rheumatologist JUL 2006-Present
Conducts weekly clinical clinics where patient’s case load included various rheumatic conditions. Fosters the promotion of standards of excellence in the provision of clinical and public health. Efficiently handles all confidential information and the document management system. Held private practice in Toronto, Canada. In my practice and training, I manage patient with different inflammatory arthritis and connective tissue diseases.
Consultant Internist JUL 2005–Present
Joined the multi-disciplinary professionals of this branch of Canada largest faith-based provider of health care to offer consultative & advisory service in internal medicine. Provided specialized care to patients with acute medical disease and various other medical conditions requiring continuous monitoring and treatment. Demonstrates attention to detail in the preparation of correspondence and patient documents.
CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY AND ALLERGY residency 2006-2007
University of TORONTO, CANADA
Acquired advanced expertise in treating patients with various immunological diseases and allergic conditions. Thought resident students on a daily basis. Attended to a patient case-load that included patients with common variable immunodeficiency, hay fever, contact dermatitis, eczema, bronchial asthma and bone marrow transplant disease. Contributed to clinical research in looking for new marker of anti-phospholipid syndrome.
Rheumatology residency 2004-2006
University of TORONTO, CANADA
Acquired advanced expertise in treating patients with various rheumatologic diseases. Thought residents and students on a daily basis. Gained expertise in managing many diseases including but not limited to rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematous, psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis.
Internal Medicine Residency 2001-2004
University of TORONTO , CANADA
EDUCATION & SPECIALIZED TRAINING
- Clinician Investigator Certification 2008
This program is an accredited postgraduate medical education training program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Its aim is to prepare individuals for a career combining specialty medical practice and research.
- Master of Science program, at University of Toronto (MSc) 2008
- Royal College of Physician & Surgeons of Canada Certificate in Clinical Immunology & Allergy, 2007
- American Board of Rheumatology specialty, 2006
- Royal College of Physician & Surgeons of Canada Specialty Certificate in Adult Rheumatology, 2006
- Specialty Certificate in Internal Medicine (2005) Royal College of Physician and Surgeons of Canada
- American Board of Internal Medicine, 2004
- Medical Council of Canada Licensing Final Exam, 2003
- Medical Council of Canada Evaluation Exam, 2000
- MBBS (Medical Degree), Kuwait University, Kuwait, 1999
Full License to practice medicine from Ministry of Health in Kuwait
Full License of Independent Practice from the College of Physician and Surgeons of Ontario
Certified Clinical Densitometry’s since 2008
Professional Affiliation & Memberships
The Royal College of Physician and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
Member in American Collage of Physician (ACP)
Member in Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
Member in American College of Rheumatology (ACR)
Member in Canadian Rheumatology Association (CRA)
Member in the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI)
Member in the American college of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
Member in the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (CSACI)
European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI)
- Ali Y, Tom BD, Schentag CT, Farewell VT, Gladman DD. Improved survival in psoriatic arthritis with calendar time. Arthritis Rheum. 2007 Aug; 56 (8):2708-14.
- Urowitz MB, Ibañez D, Ali Y, Gladman DD. Outcomes in patients with active lupus nephritis requiring immunosuppressives who never received cyclophosphamide. J Rheumatol. 2007 Jul; 34(7):1491-6. Epub 2007 Jun 15.
- Ali YM, Urowitz MB, Ibanez D, Gladman DD. Monoclonal gammopathy in systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus. 2007; 16 (6):426-9.
- Ali YM, Kuriya B, Orozco C, Cush JJ, Keystone EC. Can tumor necrosis factor inhibitors be safely used in pregnancy? J Rheumatol. 2010 Jan; 37(1): 9-17. Epub 2009 Dec 15.
Previous and Current research
- Poster presentation at the Canadian Rheumatology Association meeting at mont-blant, QC in Feb/2005, topic: Prevalence of MGUS in SLE.
- Poster presentation in annual education and research day and Dr. CHARLES Hollenberg Clinician-Scientist program at University of Toronto in May/2005.
- Poster presentation of 2 abstract to the American college of rheumatology annual session on San Diego, USA Nov/2005. One abstract on “PREVALENCE OF MGUS IN SLE” and the second abstract on “OUTCOMES IN PATIENTS WITH ACTIVE LUPUS NEPHRITIS REQUIRING IMMUNOSUPPRESSIVES WHO NEVER RECEIVED CYCLOPHOSPHAMIDE”. Currently I am in the process of writing both papers for publication.
- An abstract looking for causes of mortality in psoriatic arthritis cohort followed at University of Toronto from 1974-2005, total of 650 patients, was submitted to Canadian rheumatology association next meeting in Cancun Feb/06. The title of the abstract is “Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significant (MGUS) in SLE”.
- Received the lupus 2007 Young Investigator Award during the international congress on SLE held in Shanghai, China May 23-27, 2007.
- Received the Alan Wu award as part of the IMS (institutional of medical science) research day at University of Toronto May/2007.